Tuesday, May 1, 2007

WEEK 11: The Idols Take on a Gen X Icon

No time to blog, I am too busy voting for Blake! This week was awesome. What a great songwriter JBJ is. We had the volume cranked and this was just a great Idol night. Now I just need to add "Young Guns" to my Netflix queue.

Who should go this week:
Based on this weeks performances, Melinda
Who will go this week: Lakisha
Bottom three: Phil, Chris, and Lakisha
Still Early Pick to Win the Whole Thing: Blake

Phil Stacey:
Wow, he nailed this one. I don't get what Simon was talking about being all showy. He looked good and sounded great. It was definitely a great way to start the night.

Jordin Sparks:
OK, this was NOT her genre, but she did great for what she had to work with. I appreciate that she tried to rock it out with a real BJ song instead of like Lakisha who just picked a soul song that happened to be sung by JBJ.

Lakisha Jones:
She did blow it out the box, as Randy said, but I just wanted a riskier song from her. I thought she was a bit too loud, but I agree with JBJ that she did a great job with this song.

Blake Lewis:
Friggin-A Man! Unbelievably awesome. I was jumping out of my f-ing seat! I was a little worried when JBJ was concerned with the fact that he was not singing for 16 measures, but that little ditty will sell at least 500,000 copies of "You Give Love A Bad Name" on ITunes before the week is out. And the little girls that buy that single will be sadly disappointed by the original. Hell, I would buy that single off of ITunes RIGHT NOW and I am exactly the kind of guy that Simon thinks won't like Blake's version.

Chris Richardson:
I was dreading this, but Chris sounded great as well. This is their bread and butter song, and I love the fact that he said, "somebody HAS to sing it". He sang it and sounded great doing it. Let's hear Justin Timberlake sing it like that.

Melinda Doolittle:
It was really nice to see her do a current song. I really enjoyed it, as she is a great singer. However, even though I agree that she has a young Tina Turner thing going on, I think that she was one of the weakest performances of the night.

6 comments:

TheWino said...

Should be voted off: Jordin & Chris
Bottom three: Jordin, Lakisha & Chris
Will be voted off: LaKisha & Chris
BSC Award: Jordin & Chris
Cream of the crop: Phil & Blake


Phil didn't make a great song selection, he made a GREAT song choice. He sang it with passion and, for a moment, made me feel this was his song. You did get the feeling he had sang this song [in his bedroom, in a bar, where ever] about a million times and it was his best performance by far this year. This is one of my favorite Bon Jovi songs [which just happens to be the most country-esque in the Jovi catalog] and I am glad it was not passed over by the Idols. Jordin Jordin, Jordin are you sure you have heard that Bon Jovi before? It seemed like she was unsure of the song's melody and it sounded like she was in the wring key. I give her some points for the crazy curly hair with orange highlights. LaKisha, I didn't know the song was in a box, but thank you for blowing it out for us, pause Not. Again she came out flat and waited for the big-ass [no pun intended, well maybe since she couldn't sit down before the song it was] notes in the end to give us her "singing". At least she picked a good song for her. Blake returned to the guy we have grown to love. I'm sure half of the audience loved his skilz while the other half were yelling at their tv that this is a singing competition but let's not forget this is a performance show - singing, personality, looks and yes style all count. He was very original, brought us back to his funky fresh roots and gave us a very cool stripped down song to rock and bop out to. Chris did all he could with this it but I don't think someone had to do this song. I felt like this is a song that takes a man's voice [Jon Bon Jovi or Chris Daughtry from last season] not a boy's voice and Chris sounded like a 15 year old singing it. R & B + Kick Ass Bon Jovi Song = Going Home. Melinda struggled with the rock part of this song but added her own lil' Tina Turner to it and it was pretty good. Not my favorite Melinda performance but I think has done more than enough to earn a spot in the top 2.

Have A Nice Day!

Anonymous said...

Lee Lee said.........
OMG J-Man - weakest performance from Melinda. Were we watching the same show??????????? PaaLease! I know you hate to admit it but she rocked out like nobodies business. I was scared for her this week and after she performed I JUMPED OUT OF MY SEAT! I was so happy for her. She is like Tina Turner and Tina is huge. Icon even. That being said, we all know who I think stole the show. So let's move on.
Phil Stacey ROCKED THE HOUSE. You can tell he has been humming/singing that song for 15 years. He knew exactly what he was doing and I am seeing a whole new side to him. Great job.
Jordin - still don't get it. She did a terrible job and for her age, shame on her.
Lakisha did an obscure song to the point that even JBJ said "glad you found this"...Safe. No biggie.
Blake - it was iffy for me at the beginning but in the end he won me over. Great twist but would not say that JBJ version will be forgotten anytime soon.
Chris - R&B version did not do it for me. BYE BYE BYE Last year Chris D ROCKED THE HOUSE with that one to the point they DID record the version and play it on the radio and you could buy it on iTunes. But I started to get annoyed with the stations when everytime you heard the music starting it was Chris and NOT JBJ.
Melinda........enough said. I don't think that girl has EVER had a weak performance. YOU GO GIRL!

Predictions: BYE to Jordin/Chris this week

Anonymous said...

O.K. I just wrote my thoughts on this stupid blog and now they are gone...........sooooo I am not writing it all again.

Reader's Digest version.......
Loved: Blake
Like: Phil, Lakisha, Melinda
O.K.: Chris
Not good: Jordin(it pains me to write that!!!)

Who will go home: Chris & Phil

Til tomorrow.....

Anonymous said...

P.S. that was me Kym......this blog is really pissing me off!!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow. Now first, even the Wino must admit that Lakisha is losing weight every week and looks the best she has yet. I agree though, that she only really shines when she is belting it out.

Now, to LeeLee, I qualified Melinda's worst performance call as based on this week's performances only. And this week, she was UTTERLY FORGETTABLE. Not bad, just not great. And check this, I don't think Jordin's performance was that bad! She looked hot, sang the melody just fine, and tackled a difficult song. Maybe it is the fact that I just don't like Melinda and I do like Jordin, but that is the whole point, isn't it?

Phil and Blake took home the best of award last night, and they should be rewarded for that by staying in another week. Lakisha and Chris should be sent packing.

TheWino said...

You may be right J, but even if she lost 100 more pounds that's not excuse to paint on a pair of jeans so tight that you can't sit down. [unless you look like this]