Wednesday, February 28, 2007

WEEK 2: THE MEN

As Paula awkwardly said last night, "Touchdown!". She was a Laker girl, wasn't she? She sure knows her basketball! The guys really cranked it up this week, and I liked a lot of them.

Who should go this week: Sanjaya and Brandon
Who will go this week: Nick and AJ

Here is the breakdown. Almost too much for 10 guys, but since I was late posting this, I figured I would give it the extra effort.

A.J. Tabaldo: "Feelin' Good"
He looked comfortable on stage for the first time, and he really sounds pretty good. Just a bit of a sissy boy look that will get him booted. Totally fine if you close your eyes. Will be working at a Disney Theme Park or Cruise Line by summer time.

Blake Lewis: "Virtual Insanity"
I really liked the scatting mixed in with the beatbox. Who is Jamiroquai anyways? They are still together?

Brandon Rogers: "Time After Time"
I know he did this for his Gramma (I almost shed a tear, NOT!), but this SUCKED. Oh my god this sucked, and he would have gotten a worse lashing from the judges if Sanjaya hadn't gone before him. Song choice dude, song choice. Get a clue before you go home.

Chris Richardson: "Geek In The Pink"
I don't like Chris's ultra-repetetive bop-left bop-right dance moves, but everyone in the crowd seems to like him. He looks the part, just don't like his moves. His voice, so-so.

Chris Sligh: "Trouble"
I think showing Chris's wife just got him to the top 10. His voice is great, and I can take his looks knowing that he is more of a Mick Jagger (in the ugly singer sense) than a virgin nerd that God played a cruel trick on by giving him a soulful voice.

Jared Cotter: "Let's Get It On"
I liked the fact that he tried Marvin and got through it. The ladies love this guy, which means he'll go far. What is with the big white shoes? Are they back in? Do I have to dress like a nurse on the first day of a new job to be cool again?

Nicholas Pedro: "Fever"
Mr. Massachusetts is going home either this week or next. "Fever" doesn't get you the tweenage girls' votes. His girlfriend was nice enough, but the camera spent more time on the drummer than on him. Nick, when the cameraman stops pointing at you, you're done.

Phil Stacey: "Missing You"
I have to give John Waite big credit, because Phil couldn't touch his version. Phil's shirt was cool, but those ears! Mr. Spock, to the science station!

Sanjaya Malakar: "Steppin' Out With My Baby"
This was the classic slow motion car accident, or like watching Joe Theisman's bone snap in instant replay. You can't help but keep your eyes on it, even though you won't be able to sleep for nights after seeing it. This guy is disturbing, plain and simple. But little girls will put him through.

Sundance Head: "Mustang Sally"
Wow, talk about a comeback. This song will get everybody out of their seat if done right, but you have to give him credit, he crushed it. The challenge will be doing anything but songs like this. Nice piece about the baby boy too. The Photoshopped picture with the goatee was little rough, maybe something of the caliber I would do. They should have gotten Chris to really make it look slick, he would have had sideburns and everything.

5 comments:

TheWino said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TheWino said...

Overall, the boys picked up their game considerably over week 1 and I was happy to see this week’s episode was only 90 minutes instead of 2 hours. Anyway, here's my picks:

Who should go home: Sanjaya and Jared
Who will go home:Nick and Brandon
Best Justine Timberlake Look-A-Like/Dress-A-Like/Dance-A-Like: Jared and Chris R.
BSC Award - Sundance - Really, Mustang Sally? I know it sounded good but that's the most cliché bar band song, AJ - seriously, how many people had heard for Nina Simone? and Brandon TIm after time? I say time to go home.
Cream of the crop: Blake [good performance and great song choice] and Chris S.

Random thoughts: Blake lose the hip-hop sideways hat - only I can pull that off as a white guy. Nick get into it with the crowd and make us want to like you - have to pull for the Mass boy but I think he's not going to last with these down tempo songs where he does not engage the audience. And finally, please America, help Sanjaya "Step Out" of the competition. I'm sure the 16-year-old girls love him but he can't sing.

Wino Out.

TheWino said...

Since J you asked, Jamiroquai is an english band formed in 1992 by front man Jason Kay, still together, working on their currently untiltles 7th album and the video [and four 1997 MTV video awards - Best Video, Best Special Effects, Best Cinematography, and Breakthrough Video - certintly didn't hurt] for Virtual Insanity is what it really made this song and the group popular.

Anonymous said...

J-man you are guilty of late posting. I'll be quick:
Sanjaya is awkward, weird, too happy, and he was exactly as J-man said " a slow motion car wreck". That song lasted forever!
Nick pedro was very smooth and I give him props this week. Sundance reminds me of ram-man from He-man. He did a good job, but if he didn't completely suck the last 2 times I wouldn't have even brought him up. I like Mr. JT (Chris), and Blake for the long haul. They look the part. Chris Sligh's wife was not drop dead gorgeous like wet T-Shirt Antonella, but I have a lot more respect for him now. Lot's of safe performances.-Chris-

J-Man said...

Chris - He's totally Ram-Man! Nice call!

E- I hate to say it, but you only used to be able to pull off that hip-hop sideways hat. You'll probably notice that your wife threw it away a while ago.