Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Week 12: Disco Night

Well tonight was a rough start, but I think it finished up pretty well. The whole show felt rushed, which was ridiculous, and cutting Simon off is the wrong thing to do, as his opinion is the only one that truly matters.

Who should go this week:
Lakisha, of course
Who will go this week: Lakisha
Pick to Win the Whole Thing: Up for grabs after this week
Most Likely to be Cast as the Crypt Keeper in a new version of "Tales From The Crypt": Barry Gibb

Melinda Doolittle:
As much as I want to be nice for LeeLee's sake, I just have to say that Melinda is a great BACKUP singer. She's not horribly disfigured and has a great voice. Every once in a while I see the glimpse of a Tina Turner, but it is sporadic at best. Even Paula voice concerns tonight, "Another great vocal, but its the same every week" is what she meant to say. Thanks for showing up each week Melinda, but it takes more than that. She's the Cal Ripken Jr. of American Idol, and her efforts should be applauded, but she should not win.

Blake Lewis:
Alright, he did a great job last week, but then he goes and tries to do more of the same this week. He could have sang the first song in falsetto and that alone would have knocked my socks off, but Noooooooo...he had to beat box it up, too. I think he got the message that beat boxing is kind of like cooking with cayenne pepper: Use it sparingly to add flavor.

Lakisha Jones:
Thanks for playing Lakisha, we have some lovely parting gifts for you. I give you a 1% chance at not going home this week. Boring, yelling in parts, and not up to par with the rest of the gang.


Jordin Sparks:
Phenomenal job on the first song. I thought she looked great, that she looked like a star. I think she would make an ideal Idol. I thought the second song sounded good as well and liked the choice, but I wish she had mixed up the pace a little bit. Two slow songs is good for playing grabass at a high school dance, but it makes for an anticlimactic close to the show.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lee Lee said......
Thanks for taking it easy on Melinda J-Man. I agree that she does have consistent vocals and this week was just another week of Melinda singing well but come on .. BARRY GIBB SONGS. No one did well in my eyes. The last song that Mr. Gibb said, "Jordin will the one of the greatest recording artist of our time" or something to that effect, came out and murdered the song........YIKES Barry, you may want to turn up the hearing aid.
I think Blake should go home on that performance alone but I agree, Lakisha is packing as we speak. She got far but this is where the party train stops.
All in all I think DISCO week should be AI last one. Not great on anyone's part.
p.s.
I still voted 100 times for Melinda ;) She's my girl.

TheWino said...

Should be voted off: LaKisha
Bottom three: Melinda, Blake, & Lakisha
Will be voted off: LaKisha
BSC Award: All of Them
Cream of the crop: None this week

** Start Rant ** Sure Barry GIbb and the Bee Gees have sold a ton of records and scored several awards for their work over the past 5 decades but I have never really been a huge fan of his work and after last night I hope to never hear any of it again. It is such a let down after last weeks rockin' JBJ week to have 8 bad songs covered even worse. Sure it makes the Idols perform different styles but who cares. Let's give them songs that they can get into and give us, the viewers and voters, an enjoyable Tuesday night. And Randy your wrong, these songs are not that good and do need to modernizing to make them somewhat consumable. ** End Rant **

Last night:

Melinda was again solid on the vocals in both songs but seemed even less engaging this week than previous weeks. There were moments in both performances where you could see The real Melinda that could be a recording artist but for the bulk of the time all you see is Melinda the background vocalist.

As much as it pains me to say this as a fan, Blake brought his own style too much last night. In the first song I found the echo effect to be completely distracting and I thought the key was too high for him. The second song was a little better [but not much].

LaKisha gets no kiss from Simon this week, Oh Snap! I think she has been [barely] Stayin' Alive the past few weeks and this weeks gospel meets disco should put and end to her run. And yes Paula, the crackle at the end of song two is a problem - a real pro never misses a note.

Last but not least, Jordin was thee best of the night but that's not saying a whole lot when comparing her to the other performances. Conspiracy theorist now can run wild with the idea that the AI folks have been maneuvering for her to win. She would be the most marketable [or Blake] of the four left and one may say that after the failure of Ruben, Fantasia, and Taylor American Idol is looking for another Kelly or Carrie.

Happy Hump Day!

Anonymous said...

Kym said.......
O.K. so I didn't have time to comment yesterday......sometimes I am busy you know!!! Could they have picked a worse person to "mentor" them?? I mean come on Barry Gibb, yikes. I couldn't take my eyes off his teeth. What the heck was going on there???
Anyway we already know that Lakisha went home, and that was good. I am really pulling for Jordin to win the whole thing!!! She is great and I thought both her songs rocked!!!
Melinda, still bugging me, and I love Blake but I don't see him winning it.
That's all til next week......