Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Week 10: Idol Gives Back

OK, I voted twice last night, a whopping $0.20 to some starving kid in Africa or Louisiana. I am a bit ashamed at the corporations. All they could come up with was $5,000,000? That is piss poor.

Who should go this week:
Lakisha
Who will go this week: Lakisha
Bottom three: Phil, Chris, and Lakisha
Early Pick to Win the Whole Thing: Jordin

Chris Richardson:
I know the judges liked it, but it was kind of forgettable for me. I really love that song, too (Clapton's Change the World), but it was kind of light or watered down. Definitely not a bring-the-house-down performance.

Blake Lewis:
Great song choice. I know the song is slow, and there was no change of pace, but you have to give the guy props (and votes) just for choosing it because it was the "right" song. That, and he didn't screw it up at all. If he had beat boxed it or done anything but what he did, he would have been lectured on how the song didn't need anything else.

Melinda Doolittle:
Old and busted looked good again, and I do have a newfound respect for her since she stopped faking the amazement at her talent and rave reviews. I also liked that she took Faith Hill's song and made it really stand out as her own performance. However, she is short on star power, as are most of these contestants, and I could see her moving right back into obscurity when the show is over.

Phil Stacey:
Again with the rave reviews from the judges, and I'll admit he is getting better, but is still not Idol-winning material. He found his "country thang" last week and that will keep him here longer than Lakisha, but that is about it!

Lakisha Jones:
A copy of Melinda, Lakisha dresses better and sings louder, but is obviously not as good as Melinda. She will go tonight. Am I crazy, or am I the only one who thinks that Fantasia was the absolute weakest of the Idol winners? WTF is Paula thinking when she says that Fantasia "owns" that song. Humph!

Jordin Sparks:
One of her best nights ever. Great song choice, great vocals, and her dress was awesome. I almost got goosebumps! I think Simon is right, Jordin could have a hit record with that.

2 comments:

TheWino said...

Should be voted off: Chris
Bottom three: Chris, LaKisha & Phil
Will be voted off: Chris
BSC Award: Chris & Phil
Cream of the crop: Melinda & Jordin


Random Notes: Chris just sounded too high-key-and-popish for me on this classic Clapton track. I have not been a fan of the past few of his performances and this one could spell his end. Did anyone notice his performance was mostly the chorus [3 times]? Melinda hit it again like an old pro, oh yeah that's because she is but that doesn't detract from her talent. Now AI could just find the right music and market, she'd do ok. Plus I thought she actually looked pretty last night with a little makeup on. Blake picked THE classic of the bunch and yeah it's not much of a singers song but doesn't it completely and utterly embody the theme of the night? I give him a pass based on that alone. Now if he could have just added his own urban take on the track it might have come off better. Lakisha made, what I think, was a great song choice but was [again] over powering the singing. This was a tough week because I could easily see this be her last week on the show. Her of Chris, it was kind of a toss up for me. Phil seemed comfortable with the song but still needs a hat. And tell the AI makeup artist to layoff the color on the eye brows, it's really starting to freak me out. Jordin closed the show with a bang. Sure she started off a little "pitchy" [or whatever it is - not a music critic] but she finished super strong and made me really feel she believed the words. She seemed even a little choked up just describing what the song meant to her before she sang and it really came out in her performance. Could she be the next American Idol? Sure would be the one who is the most marketable of the 6.

On a side note, I like that AI is giving back given all of their ratings and hope that they really can make a difference, even if it’s just a small one, to some very needy folks out there.

Anonymous said...

The final two will be Melinda and Jordin. Unfortunately for me Jordin will win. I think Melinda has been the consumate pro through this whole thing so I really hope she makes it BIG TIME. Jordin will be EXTREMELY marketable with her smile (toothpaste), her skin (Maybe it's Maybelline - sing the jingle though), her body (keep up her over 14 plus size gig) and her voice (a hit record).
Melinda just has the voice and her kindness but not as marketable. Sorry sweety.

I voted about 100 times this week for Melinda and 100 times last week for her. I am single handedly trying to keep her afloat.

The rest is rif-raf, come on....PHIL? WHO IS VOTING FOR THIS GUY? Chris, I wanna be Justin Timberlake........nope. Blake with the smallest mouth to mankind, Lakisha with her screaming...nope!

Next week without hearing them it will be Chris and Lakisha.

Lee Lee out...........