Tuesday, March 6, 2007

WEEK 3: THE MEN

Overall, not so good. What is with Paula getting all negative? Did someone step on her dopamine drip IV line halfway through the show?

Who should go this week: Sanjaya and Brandon
Who will go this week: Sanjaya and Brandon

The individual breakdown:

Blake Lewis:
I must admit, like the esteemed judges, that I had no idea what the song was, but he is very entertaining to watch. Even on the quick recap at the end, Blake stands out in the field. Can you imagine him beatboxing some old Sinatra song in oldies week? N-n-n-n-new york! N-n-n-n-new york!

Brandon Rogers:
Better than last week, and he can actually perform, but I don't think he has what it takes to be his own artist. He needs a manager to pick his songs and dress him, and even then his is just so-so. Also, I think Simon called him Travis, which means that he is pretty forgettable.

Chris Richardson:
I liked Chris while he was sitting and not waving his hands, and this is a refreshing change from bee-bop songs from the last two weeks. Does losing 40 pounds make you interesting? Probably not, and you will lose the fat vote by insinuating that it does.

Jared Cotter:
Just so so, but Paula got all negative starting with Jared. Not his best, but showing his hoops skills helped him out a little I think.


Phil Stacey:
He started out SO bad. That low voice quiet start was really shaky. Then he had one ear pinned under his Sunday Grandpa shuffleboard hat and the other ear scrunched down and all misshapen. Not the high point for Phil.

Sanjaya Malakar:
Much better, but I think I could sing this John Mayer song. No high notes, just nice and easy midrange. A big improvement over last week, which is saying nothing, and the new flat hairdo will put him through. But come on, he can hula? Should Sanjaya be in the girl's group or could he be any more feminine?

Sundance Head:
This one was weird for me. I really liked hearing some Pearl Jam, and it was cool to see his voice applied to something outside Southern rock. I think the chorus worked and I liked it, but the usually excellent AI band did not come through for Sundance here, as the song needed more instrumental oomph.

Chris Sligh:
Not a great song (BSC award Ed?) but his voice is very rich. He seems like a real music aficionado and is very well spoken when being reviewed. I still like this guy, and hope he is top 10 material.

2 comments:

TheWino said...

Who should go: Sundance and Phil
Who will go: Sundance and Phil
BCS Award: Sundance - I too like hearing a Pearl Jam song but I struggle with someone who can't really pull of the Eddie Vedder thing, Phil - covering a LeAnn Rimes song: No, No, No!, Chris S. - We all love our own obscure songs but for the general American public, you might want to go with something a little more popular.
Cream of the Crop: Jared - thought he did pretty well with a "Stevie Wonder Joint" as Randy would say and Brandon, even though I'm sure most people aren't Rare Earth fans, I thought it fit him well.

Random thoughts: I liked Blake picking a 311 song [even though I thought he was just ok] and I was really surprised that the judges didn’t know what it was. Is 311 that unknown? Sanjaya's straight hair is even more disturbing than is waving hair look. And did I read correctly that the J-Man thinks he can belt out J. Mayer's Waiting On The World To Change? I look forward to the first annual American Idol: The Morning After Karaoke Showdown! Lastly, guys, Song Selection, Song Selection, Song Selection! How many times do the contestants have to hear the judges tell them that picking the right song is just as important as sounding good and performing well.

TheWino said...

For anyone who is not sure what Blake was singing, check out this video for All Mixed Up.