Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Week 13: The Big Three

Nine great performances and some really great song choices. These guys are not going to make it easy to pick a winner!

Who should go this week:
Melinda
Who will go this week: Melinda
Pick to Win the Whole Thing: Jordin

Jordin Sparks:

Sounded great all the way through. Looked a bit uncomfortable in those tall heels in the second song. Looks like she might be losing a little weight, too. Jordin is young, good-looking, and has a great voice and lots of potential, a record producers dream. I think she is indeed as sweet as she appears to be, and in the end, will make a great American Idol.

Blake Lewis:
Very smooth song choices for Blake this week. I thought he did pretty well keeping Roxanne from being copycat and he did really well on the other two songs. Good look in terms of clothes, and Blake really did look like he was having a good time. I personally would like to reward his continuous risk-taking, vocal and production skills, and general coolness with a trip to the top 2.

Melinda Doolittle:
There were moments of greatness tonight. That Tina Turner song was a great choice, and there were parts of that song that really define Melinda. I thought the white coat drop for the last song was gay, but it was the end of the last song that made it clear to me what I was feeling all along: Melinda is a backup singer. If she was in a black dress like the others, you wouldn't have known who the lead singer was. She doesn't have the looks or the star power to balance out her amazing voice. She is immensely talented, but she is no American Idol.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lee Lee said.......
Bye Bye Bye Blake.

TheWino said...

Should be voted off: Jordin
Bottom two: Jordon and Blake
Will be voted off: Too close to call
Seriously, WBVO: Jordin
GSC Award: This Love/Blake and I'm a Woman/Melinda
Cream of the crop: Melinda [for being consistent for the past 13 weeks]

I would have liked to see Jordin sing a more recent song. Heck I would have taken anything written this century but covering songs written in 1977, 1983, and 1963 last night just didn't do it for me. Plus her "performance" was standing at a mic and belting out tunes which is good for grandma but I'm not sure the tweeners will go for it. Maybe they will, she is only 17 after all.


The Blakester again brought his uniqueness to his performances and I do agree with Randy that last week it was a bit too much with the inprov beats and mixing this week I loved that it was sprinkled in to both This Love and When I Get You Alone [which itself samples Beethoven's Fifth]. Blake will probably not win this competition but he could have a good pop career if given the correct material and musical arrangement.

Melinda again sounds like a pro, but I'm still not convinced that she is the product that AI is looking for [Jordin is by far the closest thing they have this year to an American Idol Pop Star]. She can sing like hell but do you want to hear here songs a second time? She maybe the Tina Turner of a new generation but does the Gen X and Y'ers want that type of music?

In the end I think we have 3 very different singers each having 1 of the necessary properties that make a real Idol [like Clarkson and Underwood].

Great singer - Melinda
Looks and Youth - Jordin
Performer and Uniqueness - Blake

Put them together and you would have an American Idol so this has been the hardest week to predict and at this point it actually could be anyone's game.

Anonymous said...

K-says bye bye no neck Melinda. Who dresses that girl anyways. No doubt she can sing, but that is about it. The look, clothes and even personality have to go.

I think Jordan is the best bet for an American Idol. She is young and has that celebrity appeal that Melinda definately lacks.

As for Blake my man, he will go this week or next and I am okay with that. He has a great career ahead of him. And I will pay did I say pay for his record....