Tuesday, April 10, 2007

WEEK 8: Latino Week with J-Lo

This is an interesting week. I wonder if this is the week where everyone is having a mid-season crisis like me. Is this year better or at least as good as last year? Would I buy a record from any of these people? Will I care who wins? At this point, the answer is no, not really.

Side note: J. Lo is pretty cool. You can see that she is just very friendly and down to earth.

Who should go this week:
Hayley
Who will go this week: Hayley
Bottom three: Lakisha, Hayley, and Phil
Best hair: Melinda

Melinda Doolittle:
Nice hair! She looked remotely sexy this week. I think she did better than I expected. However, I have to say that Kim reminded me that she is 28 at the oldest, and for some reason I have always envisioned her being late 30's or early 40's. She is so NOT young and cool.

Lakisha Jones:
Maybe that dress should have been a little less form-fitting. I love her voice and her personality. I love that she is a single mom doing this for her daughter. I just can't help but think of Hayley with a much better figure and a much worse voice and they are both still in the competition. Looks matter, even on American Idol, and big is not in.

Chris Richardson:
I think this was gutsy. Rob Thomas does sing the hell out of this song, but I liked Chris's performance. He did well.

Hayley Scarnato:
Simon called her on the naked thing. Zoinks! Just another pretty face. Antonella must be at home pissed off that Hayley is still in this. Her performance was just bad, and you would think she could wear a skirt or something, not the same old short shorts thing. I felt dirty watching her sing.

Phil Stacey:
He was just fluttering his voice the whole time, and making weird faces while he did it. His ears were pinned back and the dome was covered, but it was still a tough visual. Not really doing it for me, again. Also, at the end when talking to Ryan, it seemed like he thought his number was up, didn't it?

Jordin Sparks:
Kind of dull, nothing really inspiring. Now WOW factor. She's nice and pretty and can sing, but this was not one of her best performances.


Blake Lewis:
I think this week is the week it is clear to me that I am officially rooting for Blake to win the whole thing. He is one of the few (besides Sanjaya of course) that I look forward to hearing every week.

Sanjaya Malakar:
This wasn't that bad. Really. It really wasn't that bad. In fact, the way he looked into the camera, it felt like he was piercing my soul with his eyes. His knowing stare, exposing me and my secret, suppressed passion for him. Sanjaya's voice, his lingering harmonies, called to me as if it were he and I alone, urging me to scream out loud with a last gasp of my breath, that I love Sanjaya, with every aching bone in my body. I will vote for you my love! I WILL VOTE FOR YOU! Let every AT&T wireless phone ring forth into the night, and text the vote that will bring our love to its climactic point. And in the end, it will be you, my sweet, the brave champion balladeer with your lush, rich hair in a fauxhawk....

Sorry, caught up the moment!



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

For some reason this won't let me sign in, so I am anonymous today, but it is me Kym!!!

Joel, I feel like I need to take a shower after reading your Sanjaya comments!!! I agree with you that I am kind of having a, what did you call it, "mid season crisis"!!! I wasn't that excited to watch the show last night(of course I did though)

If Hayley or Phil do not leave this week that is it for me....I mean it. I was watching Phil's performance with my eyes closed to see if that would help....it really didn't. I love that song but he is just creepy and I don't like his voice.

Hayley always looks surprised when Simon calls her on her slutyness(is that a word??)like she has no idea that she is dressing that way!!

Melinda, o.k. but I will say it again, I would never buy her record.

Lakisha, fun song, but I couldn't take my eyes off of her enormous boobs. Cover those things up!!!

Blake, definitly my favorite, he is great!!! He knows what kind of songs to sing, and I thought it was cool when he beat-boxed for Hayley(is that code for something??!!!)

Jordin, as always I love her voice but didn't love the performance last night.

Chris was great, don't love him but he did a great job!!

The comments I want to make about Sanjaya could get this blog a 2 week suspension(Don Imus anyone) so I just won't say anything about how he looked like a sleezy Indian.....Oops, sorry!!!

O.K. bottom 3 Haley, Phil, and I want to say Sanjaya but I just don't think he will be so I will say Lakisha.

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone (it's Lisa the site will not take my password either),

Kym, you are right with Melinda on buying her CD but I will have someone we personally know just 'rip one' and we can decide at that point if it's 'buy worthy'. I know I will give it a listen. I thought her and Chris were the best ones last night. The worse was PHIL and Hayley, not Sanjaya, believe it or not. But I still can't stand him or his stare in the camera and YES, J-MAN.....that was disgusting......

Joel, you hit the nail on the head with Lakisha and I said it last night. She is a good singer but the clothes she chooses is screaming I AM FAT. (not that there is anything wrong with that) but at least Jordin, who is an model for being a size 14 wear APPROPRIATE CLOTHES. Lakisha, you are someone's mother......cover up those 55 DDD........YIKES and the back fat...............

Chris and Smooth was good on the refrain and bridge but the beginning (the low part that Rob Thomas sings with the help of technology) was not good for me. On the bright side, when I saw Rob Thomas sing that song LIVE without the technology, he wasn't as good as Chris so there.........He did a good job.

Blake on the other hand wasn't as good as Chris.

Phil is just bad and did a terrible job. I hate how every sentence carries on too long. The original song is great b/c there is a period at the end of the sentence and not a run on...... Terrible.

Hayley looked TERRIBLE and sounded WORSE. Now I see why celebrities don't wear the same dress twice to a gala. Those shorts have already made their debut on AI, they should already be on E-bay. That song was terrible, her straight hair, clown make-up and eyelashes looked like the disgruntled hairdresser and makeup artist had a beef with Hayley and got her back on National Television. They both should be fired.

Jordin.......NOPE again. I get the fact that she is 17 but everyone is making such a big deal out it that she is making terrible song choices and she thinks the rules don't apply cuz she is 17 and fabulous. Get over it Jordin and come back to Sanjaya Universe...I mean earth. Get smarter or get out.

Sanjaya.... after watching him last night I honestly think border patrol in Mexico should have ransacked his hotel room for his papers or a passport. He really looked different and it freaked me out. Now his stylist is having fun with this kid. He wasn't the worst this week but Phil, Hayley and Sanjaya really need to go.

I agree with you J-Man, I am really not digging this season cuz there really isn't a CD I would buy from anyone. Last year we had Chris and Katherine McPhee and who was the good looking guy with hair..oh ACE...........He was a cutie pie. I heard he came out with CD. Anyone own it so I can borrow it for a day?? No........ anyone??

Randy way off on Jordin, Blake and Lakisha
Paula - Ms. You look wonderful tonight - Abdul........
Simon - right on as usual, even with Melinda.

TheWino said...

Should be voted off: Phil
Bottom three: Hayley, Phil, & Sanjaya
Will be voted off: Phil
BSC Award: LaKisha, Chris,Hayley, & Jordin
Cream of the crop: Blake


Random Notes: Melinda [again] had solid vocals and was solid on this song however I'm still not connecting with her as an artist. Is she just a really good singer who will not be able to gain a fan base when it is her songs you hear? I'm just not sold on her yet. LaKisha at least sang the whole song this week and didn’t just wait until the last chorus to bring home some huge notes and I liked that she didn't just stand there and sing as she has done in past weeks but I think this is a case of be careful what you wish for. She should never dance around the stage again. Chris is trying to be Smooth but for me just didn't get it done this week. I call his performance a good copy of the original but nothing to go crazy for. Hayley at least turned some heads in her performance. Did anyone notice Simon turned to watch her sing when she was behind them on the in-crowd stage? That had to be a first and I bet it was due to her short-shorts outfit and not her singing. Phil made the song his own and I say he can keep it. He let each note run much longer than the sexy original making me want to put down my beer and leave the karaoke bar. Jordan gave us an OK copy but it lacked any originality or Jordinesc qualities. I think the I'm-impressed-that-you-are-only-17-years-old thing is wearing thin [with the voters]. Blake gave by far the best overall performance I would have liked to hear him add a little beatbox/scat to the performance which I think would have made it one of the few really special Idol performances. Sanjaya wasn't half bad and singing in Spanish was a real plus. His look though made he think he was actually Puerto Rican. Someone check his background.

Note: real bloggers can sign in just fine - j/k

J-Man said...

Love these comments! I am giggling as I read these!

Kym: Heh heh heh...I would like to beatbox Hayley. Heh heh heh.

Lee-Lee: I know it was disgusting, but you READ EVERY WORD!

Wino: Agree with everything you said, and you coined a new term, "Jordinesc". Nice!