Tuesday, April 3, 2007

WEEK 7: OLDIES WITH TONY BENNETT

Who should go this week: Sanjaya
Who will go this week: Phil
Bottom three: Phil, Hayley, and the Comets, oops, and Sanjaya

For all you suckas who TiVo and DVR, you missed the new Transformers teaser. I must say I have newfound interest in this movie after seeing Starscream fly under a bridge and transform and land on it. Damn that looked cool.

OK, back to the show. A good week, with everyone upping their game to the next level.

Blake Lewis:
I'll say it again, Blake is cool. I love to see what he is going to do next. He looks a little like Sting, and made "Mack the Knife" very Generation Y. Nice job!

Phil Stacey:
Ouch. I didn't think this was all that bad until the recap. It was gloomy and dark. Plus, Phil forgot to wear a hat again, and a fedora would have covered those ears up just fine and fit the genre. This Phil is not of the future.

Melinda Doolittle:
Record it, stamp it, press it, sell a million. I have to give props to Melinda. She sounds sooooo good (great song choice), and she even stopped being so awkwardly humble towards the end of her time on stage. She still needs to work on her image a bit, as she needs to maximize her looks to match her sound.

Chris Richardson:
He came out with a slow and low start, but got it going towards the middle and the end. It was fresh and fun and he made the song current, almost as much as Blake did.

Jordin Sparks:
That white untucked shirt made her look hippy.
Sorry. I had to say that. Just kept looking at those shirttails the whole time. Jordin is great. Young, pretty, apparently very nice and happy, and she can sing! Looking forward to seeing more of her.

Gina Glocksen:
Get serious! That is what Gina did, and she pulled it off. This shows that she can work outside her comfort zone and still sound great. Simon was looking to give her a hard time that her voice cannot compete with the others, but he needs to remember this is as much about image as it is about singing...

Sanjaya Malakar:
Sadly, this was his best week to date. I have to admit that this week did not make me cringe. Maybe I have become desensitized to all of the Sanajayosity of the past few weeks. He won't be going home this week, either, no matter how much reverse psychology Simon tries!

Hayley Scarnato:
This "horny cracka" sees Hayley painting herself into a slutty image corner. She is now just pandering to the boys stuck watching the show to vote her through. She has another week, two at the most. And did you see her stick her stiletto heel in her mouth, dissing Randy and Paula? Not smart.

Lakisha Jones:
Lakisha looked great and I really enjoy her performances. She adds so much emotion and energy to her songs that I just like her. So sassy! A great way to end the night.

As much as I loved Lakisha, Melinda, and Phil's performances tonight, these three are going to be getting hit with a reality check soon. First off, if you think we older folks own this show, you're wrong. American Idol is a kid's show, and KIDS DON'T VOTE FOR OLD PEOPLE. Soon we will see the older performers (especially those singing older songs) struggling to keep their heads above the Bottom 3 waters. Look for Lakisha or Melinda in the bottom three in the next two weeks.

Here is the other thing: If Sanjaya can keep improving, he might actually make it pretty deep into the competition. I know right now that I would rather see Sanjaya perform (crappy but interesting) than Phil or Hayley.

1 comment:

TheWino said...

Should be voted off: Sanjaya
Bottom three: Sanjaya, Phil & Jordin
Will be voted off: Phil
BSC Award: Phil
Cream of the crop: Blake and Melinda


Random Notes: Blake made Mack The Knife as hip as it can be with much of the original arrangement. He also dressed the part very well. My personal favorite performance this week. Phil lost me this week. We were so disinterested in his performance that we got into the "does he shave his head for the look or because of male pattern baldness" discussion. Since I may have nodded off during his song it wasn't until the recap that I knew how bad it was. Malinda again sounded great and I really liked dress and she is probably the best singer on them all BUT I'm not sure what her 2007 sound is, if she can sell records or if I would see her on tour. None of that detracts for her solid performance this week. That makes 7 weeks in a row. Chris took another outfit from JT's closet and really started flat. I guess it got better as the song wore on but I think I checked out about half way through. For me, the true American Idol starts strong, stays strong and finishes stronger. Jordin sounded old to me and not in a good way. I know this was American Classics week but covering a Streisand tune just didn't do it for me - even though she does hit all of her notes beautifully. Gina did a good cover but I felt like it lacked originality. I do not thnk she needs to rock out each week however it is her uniqueness which makes her standout in a crowd full of big note singers. Sanjaya, sadly, did put forth his best effort so far however Saturday Night Fever called and they want the suit back. Wait calling on line 2 is the guy for Michael Jackson's Beat It video he wants the suit back. The hone lines are lighting up - P. Diddy, Elvis, Boss Hog, and Aston Kutcher's wedding coordinator are all calling in trying to get the suit back. Welcome to the Sanajaya Universe. Hayley does have nice legs [thanks Simon for pointing that out] and does look good in green [thanks Paula for pointing that out], but can she sing? I actually felt really bad for her after both Randy and Paula passed on creticing her performance and then Simon said she looked good. Don't the judges have the sack to just say she's not the best singer but to keep trying? At least they didn't tell her the dress was too long and the top was to big - of course that's what the Horny Cracka's were thinking. LaKisha also started flat and got better as the song went along. In this stage of the competition I don't think 10 huge notes at the end of the song is going to get it done. Plus the "O-Face" at the end was a real turn off for me. And why didn't Simon comment on Kiki's legs?

Next week should be very interesting - Latin Music with Jennifer Lopez. This could be challenging for Melinda and LaKisha who have stuck to older Motown/Disco songs. This should be a chance to Blake, Jordin and Gina to have some fun and really entertain.

Wino Out.