Tuesday, March 27, 2007

WEEK 6: Pop, Pop, Pop and Boots, Boots, Boots

For a good pre-game read, check out Ed's suggestions for songs at
http://bottomofthebarrel.blogspot.com/

Who should go this week: Besides Sanjaya? Chris Richardson.
Who will go this week: Sanjaya?
Best song choice: Gina
Worst song choice: Jordin

Lakisha Jones:
It was nice to see Kiki doing something that wasn't out of the 60s or 70s. Not my favorite, but a good vocal.

Chris Sligh:
Not good. And these close ups are freaking me out, as Chris's head fills all 60" in high definition sweat-o-vision.

Gina Glocksen:
Awesome. Just phenomenal in her song choice, as it fit her character and her vocal range like a glove. Crowd was roaring at the end.

Sanjaya Malakar:
Good lord. Make it stop.

Hayley Scarnato:
Sexy but ordinary. Hayley is the only glam white girl, though, so count on the "horny cracka" vote to get her through to next week. Upon writing this, I wonder if I am a "horny cracka".

Phil Stacey:
The hat is a keeper. Going commando with those ears is not a good decision. Nice song choice, and even Simon liked it. Much better than last week.

Melinda Doolittle:
Great vocals, as usual, but it wasn't really that pop-py. I am still trying to figure out why she is not my favorite. It is the ridiculous amount of humility she oozes. It is also that her voice is great, but is really not that distinctive? Is that possible?

Blake Lewis:
I thought it was slow. I thought it was another "Blake slows down another pop song" and it turns out that my wife loved it. So it was the sexy thing, not the entertainment thing. That's OK, good job Blake in shoring up the chick votes. As for my wife, she still can't understand why Hayley is still in this.

Jordin Sparks:
Nice vocals, and it made her look younger and more fun, but couldn't help imagining Gwen doing her thing all over the stage, and it made Jordin look boring. Sounded great, looked dull.


Chris Richardson:
Nice spin on the song, but there wasn't much in his vocals to remember.

6 comments:

TheWino said...

First, to answer your question, Yes you are a honry cracka but did you vote for Hayley? The number of votes cast will help determine your Hornatude on the IMA Crackometer.

Second, thanks for the shout-out for my post yesterday however let me say that I was super disappointed that the song choices were taken from either No Doubt or artist that inspired Gwen. Don't get me wrong, I like her music I'm just let down they allowed Lakisha and Melinda to sing Donna Summers songs. I get the Police, Pretenders, Cure and of course No Doubt but allowing them to sing songs recorded in 1978 [when Gwen was 9] gave them, what I consider a free pass this week. I would have loved to see, what many consider, the top two vocalists take on songs outside their comfort zone and see what they are really made of.

Third, this was a week full of great judge quotes. They are:

"Very nice, Very nice" Randy "Borat" Jackson
"Not the Oscar show" Simon "I'm not done with my comments" Cowell
"Faux-Hawk" Paula "He's got better hair than I do" Abdul
"Don't sing it, we'll have to pay for it" Ryan "I'm gonna hear from Fox on that one" Seacrest

PS I think I prefer Fro-Hawk to Fuax-Hawk but either way does justice to that crazy Sanjaya hair style

TheWino said...

Should be voted off: Sanjaya
Bottom three: Sanjaya, Chris S. & Jordin
Will be voted off: Chris S.
BSC Award: Chris S. & Jordin
Cream of the crop: Gina

Random notes: LaKisha, are you going to cover a song written in the last decade at some point or not? The closest she has come so far is 1993's I have nothing sung 4 weeks ago. Chris S, "Wasn't in the pocket", looked uncomfortable and really struggled with the chorus. I have two words for you: Song Choice! Gina, Keep picking perfect songs like that [and delivering] and you will go a long way. You looked great and made me beleive that you would, in fact, stand by me. Sanjaya, forgot the words at one point, looked ridiculous on stage and clearly doesn't care anymore about winning Idol but sadly he probably will be around yet another week. Maybe next week he could just not sing at all and see if his "fame" alone can get him to the top 8. It might make him watchable. Hayley, Looked great, sounded ok, performance was forgettable. It will take more than a pretty face to stay in the show much longer. Phil, for a minute I thought it was The Police week. Safe song choice and much better than last week but also forgettable. Melinda, good vocals [again] but the shirt? It did fit with her 1978 song choice but seriously, couldn't the AI wardrobe department find anything more hip for you to wear? Blake, good song choice, interesting to see him do a more traditional cover but would have loved to see if he could "have made it is own" a little more. Jordin, Hey Baby, Hey Baby, Hey - yikes. Yeah you looked 17 and picked the most youthful song of the bunch but that song has almost no melodic areas of the song and does not show off you voice. Stay youthful but look for songs that give the crowd what they want - singing. Chris R, I liked the arrangement but I’m not sure this was a great song choice [not bad but not good either]. Not his best performance but shouldn't hurt him today.

Next week Tony Bennett is the Idol coach. Will they let the contestants pick songs for any year during Tony's career [1950 to present]? If so I can hear a couple more late 70's tracks being sung [Hey AI don't let 'em do it!].

TheWino said...

Since everyone seemed to enjoy yesterday's Phil/Mutant Biker comparison, I have posted a new one for today which might be ever better [and just in case we lose this very special Idol this week] - check out http://bottomofthebarrel.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Kym,

Are you begging for some one [J MAN] to put Sanjaya's Fuax-Hawk on your head? Can you say photoshop + Blog = Big Laughs for everyone???

That's Mr. Anonymous to you

Anonymous said...

I voted for:

Phil, who I thought nailed it but I'm not a phil fan.

Gina, good song choice and vocal and I like her ambition.

Blake, I like his style and he is clearly very musical.

Jordin, a weird performance, but I'd like her to win it all so I voted for her.

Looking at American Idol as a whole machine, Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood stand out as the only majorly successful winners.
So I think Melinda and Lakisha are just too ugly and old fashioned to be big sellers. Great voices, but I would hate the type of music they would put out. So the secret recipe seems to be attractive young people that can sing.

If you ugly, you aint sellin'.

So that leaves Jordin, Blake, Hayley, Chris R, and maybe Gina in my mind.

All that being said, America is doing the voting so you never know what will happen.

Anonymous said...

First and foremost Gina rocked. She was by far the best performance making it her own.

I agree with Mr. anonymous J-man should be sporting the faux-hawk. His wife even might like it!!!

Who should go Sanjaya, but I must say he keeps me interested to see how he will embarass himself each week. I may miss that. So I am going to say that Kiki needs a kickie out the door.