Tuesday, March 13, 2007

WEEK 4: THE DIRTY DOZEN

OK, here we go! This top twelve could be trimmed to ten pretty easily, and the top eight could do the summer concert series. I must say that Simon and company are very interestingly making it seem like this is a two horse race, between Melinda and Lakisha. I definitely don't see it that way, and picture one of them going sooner than later.

Who should go this week: Sanjaya
Who will go this week: Brandon
Bad song choice: Melinda
Best hair: Jordin
Worst hair: Sanjaya


Brandon Rogers:
Rough stuff. Forgot the words and I think his voice cracked in the middle of the song. Sundance is at home throwing out a big "What the f---?" as he watches this performance.

Melinda Doolittle:
She can sing, but call this Old Song Choice. Nothing like dating yourself with a relatively unheard song. I know it is from "The Wiz", but what kid these days has seen "The Wiz"? I know she is fabulous, but I am getting tired of hearing how great she is and having her feign disbelief.

Chris Sligh:
This version of Endless Love should have ended sooner than later. His voice is right on, but he arranged that song Jeffery Dahmer style, which is to say he butchered it. Also, the glasses are key to your look, do not get rid of them!

Gina Glocksen:
Loved this Love Child. I could see that the crowd wasn't that into it, but I thought it was very well played. Perfect song for Gina, and she pulled it off.

Sanjaya Malakar:
Ain't no pain level high enough. Ain't no volume low enough. The slow-motion car wreck that is Sanjaya continues this week, with another performance that left me feeling like someone was running their fingernails down a blackboard.


Hayley Scarnato:
If I voted, Hayley would get my vote this week. She definitely deserves another week on the show, just to get her confidence back. She was sexy and brought it vocally. Perfect song choice, but it would have been great if she remembered the words. She has gotten sand kicked in her face for the last three weeks and has earned the right to rehearse for a week with at least an ounce of confidence.

Lakisha Jones:
Wow. Melinda, look out. You and Ki-Ki are competing for the Big Vocal Women of Color (BVWC) vote and two things happened tonight. First, Lakisha got called her Mom's nickname from Diana Ross, which should not be underestimated. Secondly, she "held back" a bit this week and her voice SHINED and didn't wash out the band and everything else in the auditorium. I am sure part of this is the new stage and setup, but she was unbelievable and I am a big fan now, and never was before.

Phil Stacey:
I know the judges didn't like it, but he did it for me. He sang really well and I thought he was moving around the stage pretty well. Not the most memorable performance, but he laid it out there pretty damn well, translucent ears and all.

Blake Lewis:
I still don't know if I liked the off tempo thing. It was cool because the backbeat was fast enough, but it really made his vocals seem a bit droning (though not as bad as Chris Sligh's). I liked it a lot more as I heard in the quick recap at the end.

Stephanie Edwards:
Not her best. I like her and her look tonight was really good. She also ditched a lot of the 'tude poses she has been taking in the past few weeks. She looked more formal, and it suited her.

Chris Richardson:
Who-eee. This was a non-event. I should have taken this time to brush my teeth to muffle the sound of Chris singing and boring the viewers at home. If his goal for the night was to put in a horrendous performance to set the stage for Jordin, then I say "Mission accomplished!"

Jordin Sparks:
Can you feel the love? Loved her hair. Loved her voice. Loved the whole thing. She made a sickly sweet "Land Before Time" song sound like a top 40 love song.

5 comments:

TheWino said...

Should go home: Sanjaya
Bottom three: Brandon, Haley, & Stephanie
Will go home: Brandon
Cream of the crop: Melinda and Phil

Top 12 Awards:

Forgotten lyrics: Brandon, Haley & Stephanie
Bad song choice: Chris R
Songs they should have covered: Stop, in the name of love, Upside Down and I'm coming out
Way too long Side Burns: Chris R
Randy way to urban comment of the night: "The hair is poppin'" to Sanjaya
Closest D. Ross Hairstyle: Sanjaya
Music overpowered [or was louder] then the vocals: Chris S & Sanjaya

Contestant Notes: J-Man you took my joke, Ain't no (blank) (blank) enough. I first heard this at a Dennis Miller comedy show where the lead is a guy who immediately jumps to the dance floor when this song comes on and is all over the place in everyone's way and DM's punch line is "Hey pal, ain't do f'in dance floor wide enough". Well last night I say Ain't no Idol show short enough. The sad thing is Sanjaya will probably make it into the top 6 or even further. I'm not as blown away as the judges are with LaKisha, or KiKi as she is now being called. She better get some personality of her votes are going to be lost to Melinda and I don't think using the same nickname as an artist who is best known her duet with Sir Elton John.

Phone notes: Last night, for the first time, we made our calls to vote and I was shocked that they didn't have the contestant’s voices saying thanks for voting for me like they did last year. Didn't Justin Guarini's message say "Hi this is Justine, thanks for voting for me. Now I'm off to my friend Chuck's house"???

Staff questions: Was Paula crying because Melinda's song was that good or did she just realize how bad her signing was back in the day? Did Ryan actually say he does have high heels in his closet or that he was looking to get some? Did Simon pull a 360 about half way through the show and start telling the contestants they were good just to quite down the booing from the crowd? Inquiring minds want to know.

Wino Out

Anonymous said...

Wino:

You are wrong about Lakisha. She really turned it on last night. Melinda is not going to win it, she is a fake, a fake I tell you! I am thinking that Chris R might even be in the bottom 3 now that I think about it. My bottom 3 are Brandon, Chris R., and Hayley.

Anonymous said...

Being the fiance of the world's biggest Justin Timberlake fan I have to say that Chris R is not leaving anytime soon. He looks and sounds very similar and Mr JT is huge right now. Every little girl is voting for him.

Sanjaya does not even sing, he speaks in melody. Horrible.

I think Blake got a bad review. I give him a lot of credit for taking a risk and actually showing that he loves music and that he has a stlye.

Brandon has no power to his voice. Where is it? background singer for life.

Phil and Hayley made big gaisn this week. They were some of the only ones that actually improved. Phil needs to wear a bag over his head next time, hopefully with both ears tucked in.

Gina was good. i never liked her, but I was impressed.

Stephanie is boring. good singer, but boring.

I like Lakisha. She is strong, proud, powerful, and just lays it down on stage. She is not cocky or fake and just stands out in the crowd

Melinda is almost as good, but looks like she is 40.

Brandon and Sanjaya are clearly the absolute worst. A class of their own.

TheWino said...

Not sure if having a video with an alternative ending [since I didn't see the original ending I'm not sure what the difference is] but here is Katharine McPhee's "new" video anyway.

TheWino said...

J, you maybe right about KiKi all I'm saying is that I am not into her performances and I hope she can pick up the "personality" factor when she sings, even if it's just for my sake.